What is Jun Tea?
Like Kombucha, Jun is a traditionally fermented beverage, brewed with a SCOBY (Symbiotic Culture of Bacteria & Yeast), but with green tea & raw honey instead of black tea and refined sugar.
The fermentation time for Jun is twice as fast as kombucha. It is also much less acidic, lighter & fizzier in taste.
How to convert your kombucha SCOBY to make Jun?
Start by replacing 20% of the black tea and refined sugar with green tea and honey. If successful, replace 1/3, then by 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, then 100%. After each fermentation, make sure to check that the SCOBY is thriving and if it’s not, repeat the next fermentation at the same level until its thriving again.
- 1-2 tablespoons of loose leaf or 4-6 bags of green tea
- 16 cups of filtered water (1 gallon)
- 1 cup of raw honey
- 1 kombucha SCOBY converted to green tea & honey (described above)
- 1-2 cups of jun tea from a previous batch (strong starter liquid)
- Steep 1-2 tablespoons of loose-leaf or 4-6 bags of green tea
- Add 1 cup of local, raw honey
- Cool to 20-30 degrees celsius
- Add SCOBY
- Add 1-2 cups of strong starter liquid
- Cover with breathable cotton cover
- Wait! (5-15 days)
- Once at our desirable taste, refrigerate (lasts 5-7 days)
- Repeat! 🙂